Sunrise House

Sunrise House

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Our painter is AMAZING!!

It's been awhile, huh? We hit a lull...then work got busy...then there was more fighting about the lull...then people got to work and shit got done.

We went with our own painter, not the one the contractor wanted to bring in, because our friends used him and he did a great job AND his bid was significantly less (think about what YOU could do with an extra 10k)!

So every sub-contractor has their own timeline because they all have other jobs. Makes perfect sense to me, which is why people hire a General Contractor in the first place...let them juggle all of the subs and different timelines. Our GC needs some coaching and his guys definitely need a little work ethic, but I digress. Our painter needed to be done by December 16. The way things were crawling along there was no way this was happening so the Husband had to have a little chat with our GC. His sheetrock sub really came through in the 11th hour. There was one guy working from 5:30pm until who knows when. Not sure why they didn't send him with...I don't know...HELP, but he busted ass to get things done. HIS boss came a few days into the sheetrock project and was profusely apologizing to the Husband because even he thought it should be further along. Magically, the sheetrock, taping and mudding was done the next day. If only our GC got that mad about the lack of progress.
 
So, our painter came in later than scheduled (because of our GC) and worked 4, 16 hour days. Ceilings, trim, doors and walls are all painted. Done and done. He's amazing and pretty much got us back on track to be done by the end of December. We didn't add a lot of color because we wanted to keep it easy for our painter and we wanted it to be bright (aka white). I'll add more pictures of paint when my phone cooperates with me and my constant photo demands.

Downstairs Master closet (pocket door)
Downstairs Master closet (and bathroom door) Paint color: Sand 

Downstairs hallway (DOORS!!)

Downstairs laundry/half bath (toilet on left, w/d on right)

My flipping advice:
1) I know I've already said this, but see if your GC will let you get some of your own subs. We just got an invoice for $4,000 for our GCs guy to tile the downstairs walk-in shower. That doesn't include tile...just labor. What does that man make a year???? If your GC says no, I'd find another GC.
2) I would also have a weekly check-in about budget with your GC. If they don't have any overages in writing that I've signed off on, I'm not paying it. They cannot make those decisions without your approval. 

No comments:

Post a Comment